Monday, July 2, 2012

Why is everything so personal to me?

This morning I log into my Midlife Crisis Awakening facebook account and noticed I had received a message from a frantic mom.  Her 14 year old daughter had run away from a group home for troubled children.  I immediately re-posted this beautiful child's picture on my page and asked twenty some thousand people to help.  I am amazed at the outpouring of help we are getting from one simple little post.  I have actually been sitting here staring at my page for most of the day wondering what could have possibly happened that this poor child wanted to run, is she OK? Was it her idea, or was there someone else involved?  I can't seem to stop thinking of this child and her distraught mother sitting at home anticipating that long awaited phone call.  I don't know what I would do if I were in her shoes, but I do know that today, I have been more nervous and anxious than I have been in a very long time.  

I tend to take things personally sometimes, which really can be difficult at times. Case in point!  For what ever reason, I feel that this terrified woman contacted me and I should and will do anything in my power to help.  I have asked other pages to share my post, I have asked fans to share.  I still do not feel as though I am doing enough!   I am almost as nervous as I would be if it were my own child. 

I have always felt the need to help others whenever I can.  I put myself right there, dead center and do what I can. Some people have labeled me as nosy, intrusive, and at times bitchy because of it.  I certainly want everyone in the world to be happy and content and have the things they need and want, but I must learn that I am not necessarily the one that needs to have that responsibility.  Unfortunately, sometimes this is where my family seems to suffer.  Don't get me wrong, I am here for my family, but there are times my family gets the leftover exhausted me.  I do know that has been an issue in my marriage on and off for the past twenty plus years, and I have finally realized it with the help of my husband.  I do know now that my immediate family should be my priority.  I must learn that the worlds problems are not meant to be set on my shoulders.  I need to figure out for myself how much to take on as an outsider and to what extent do I get involved, if at all.  I can not help everyone in every situation, and over the last several days I am finally coming to terms that I do have to let some people handle things on their own, in their own way.  

My husband and my children are my number one priority and always have been in my mind. Not so much by my actions occasionally, but this is part of my 'awakening' and they will from now on.

2 comments:

  1. I used to do the same thing until I realized that I didn't have a personal life anymore. I still help where I can, but not to the point that my family and friends suffer as a result. Plus, I need some "Me" time as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finally learning, JUST ME.... has taken me some time, and some trouble along the way, but i do believe I am getting there!!

      Delete